Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Recipe Experiment-Pork Roast

I've been hanging out on Skinnytaste.com which is a fabulous website filled with all kinds of recipes that are on the lighter side.  It's geared for weight watchers I think, but much of the focus is lower fat, calories and get in the kitchen and cook it yourself kind of meals.  In trying to eat a bit healthier, this format fits my needs.  So, I thought of finally putting my crock pot to use and try out some of these yummy dishes.

 I like this crockpot because it has 3 different sized removable ceramic inserts with a universal lid.  The buttons on the bottom you select the crock size that you are using and the dial you select the temperature.  I have not cooked anything while away from home because I fear something going wrong.  I've prepared the following while asleep which brings its own challenges while trying to get ready for work.  I watched Alton Brown on the foodnetwork and he suggested using a timer that you plug into a lamp to cut on and off while you are away from home.  I thought this was a good idea so I will have to look for this device.

I've made several things off of this website and a couple I've posted on my blog.  Today I ventured to make Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil which is  Puerto Rican dish.  It is citrus based with cumin.  I'm not sure how I feel about cumin.  Smelling it from the container it doesn't float my boat.  Like it doesn't give me that mmmm, that's yummy feeling.  The pork is to be shredded after it's cooked.  The instructions was to save a cup of the broth and pour it over the shredded pork.  When I tasted it shredded it was lacking flavor to me.  I did not discard the broth.  Instead I strained it, put it in a saucepan and let it reduce.  I let it reduce a bit too much and it ended up being super concentrated.  I thinned it out with chicken broth.  This made the pork more flavorful, but I wonder if I cooked the pork too long cause some pieces taste dry to me.  Or it could just be because the pork itself was very lean.  Here's a pic of the cooked roast.




No comments:

Post a Comment