Monday, April 9, 2012

Recipe Experiement-Packaged Sausage Lentil Soup

In another post I wrote about making Rachel Ray's Sausage, Kale and Lentil Soup.  I found this soup ingredient package at Whole Foods so I thought I would try it.  It contains the lentils, spice packet and you add the meat of choice. 



At the butcher I bought a pound of loose turkey sausage and a pound of ground turkey burger meat.  I mixed them together and left it in the fridge.  When you do this the unseasoned meat takes on the flavors of the sausage eliminating the need to season the ground turkey.  I cooked the meat, drained it and emptied the pan.  I then cooked a diced large onion and added the meat back into the pan.  I opened a can of tomatoes (smaller than what package called for), a 28oz carton of chicken broth and a smaller container of more flavorful broth.  Like Rachel Ray's recipe I plan to put chopped Kale when the soup is done to give a nutritional boost.


This recipe took all of less than twenty minutes from putting the raw meat in the pan to the simmer that's concurring now.  This recipe boasts 8-10 servings and some will go in the freezer for quick meals.  Cooking for more than one meal is key when embarking on a health/fitness regimen because spending a lot of time in the kitchen will be frustrating for people new to the kitchen.

Now, if the end product is as good as my Rachel Ray recipe I will be a happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment