Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Recipe Experiment-Coconut Muffin

Today I am trying my hand at a new recipe from Smittenkitchen.com .   I made a few adjustments like using coconut abstract, coconut sugar instead of white sugar and I switched the flour amounts.  I used 3/4 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup white flour.  I also subbed greek yogurt for coconut milk.  I just bought it and just opened it yesterday.  So I'm trying to use that up.
Here are a few pictures of the process.  The first is a pic of the ingredients and the second is a pic of the completed batter before being baked.



The original developer got 10 muffins.  Other folks on her blog got 12.  I got 9 and that was a stretch after taking batter from other cups to make an additional one.  They are baking now and smell super good.  I'll post again when they are done and consumed...lol
And...they are done!  I'm glad I didn't squeeze out a 10th one.  I like some body to my muffins.  Not sure if you can make out the 2nd pic, but lots of people ask about texture and I wanted to give a close up.  I just tried them and because of the coconut oil and the coconut itself you don't need any spread on it.  It does not have a overpowering flavor at all.  The crumb is light and fluffy.  I'm curious of how it will taste with the coconut flour.  I think adding walnuts would've added another layer of awesomeness.





Edit-
So I went to sparkpeople.com and entered the actual ingredients I used to make the muffins because I was curious of the calorie count.  I'm glad to see that it was in line with the carb count of a traditional meal for me.  Of course the fat is a bit high and I will strive to take that into account with the rest of my food today.  It's interesting to see that the sugars are super low per serving.   Pic below of calorie count per muffin:

No comments:

Post a Comment