Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Recipe Experiment-Moist Molasses Bran Muffins

So I took a couple days off of work and really enjoying the down time.  I resisted baking all kinds of sweet goodies in the guise of "healthy".  I do enjoy the smell of yummy stuff waffling through the air.

Yummy experiment number one....
I get my tea from Urbane Tea Company .  The tea is flavorful and in interesting combinations.  Thoughts of Fuze tea came to mind and I had the idea to make iced tea.  I initially thought of a blend I recently bought called Creamy Caramel Oolong.  The description on the package is "creamy Oolong w/caramel bits and marigold flowers".  All things yummy, yes?  So with that I have a Gingersnap tea which I thought would compliment the caramel.  Still yummy!  For an added bite, I mixed in a little Simply Chai.  OMG, this mix was amazing!!  I did add a little agave to the mixture while hot and it totally sings with delight.

Yummy experiment number two....
As I was cleaning up all these bags of Bob's Mills goodies I'd bought wheat bran that I really didn't know what to do with. So...Still having a desire to bake something on the package is a recipe for Moist Molasses Bran Muffins.  Now, if you've read my other recipe blogs you know that I almost never do the recipe as is.  Why?  Because I use what I have on hand or I try to make it a little more healthy.  My substitutions was using coconut milk, whole wheat pastry flour/whole wheat flour and agave because I didn't have molasses.  I feared that they would be too grainy or mealy which was why I added the pastry flour.  I also added some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and butter extract.

Baking now and they smell amazing!  I just tasted them and they are very good.  I'm glad I added the flavoring because I think they would have been bland otherwise.  In hindsight, I guess the flavor would have come from the molasses in the original version.  The crumb is not dense, but not fluffy either.  It does have a type of fluffiness, but it is not a heavy muffin.  I am pleased with how these turned out.

Calorie count is diet friendly too at 134.6 per muffin and 22.3 grams of heart healthy carbs from the wheat bran and wheat flour blend.  Another bonus is the lowish sugar grams at 7.4 per muffin!  Dietary fiber at 4.1 gram per muffin...bonus 3!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment